The Referral Coordinator works as part of the healthcare team and collaborates with other support staff and clinic healthcare providers. The Referral department coordinates with healthcare providers and patients to facilitate and track the referral process. In addition, the Coordinator initiates referrals with hospitals, specialists, and other organizations when services are authorized and educates patients and providers about insurance plans and their benefits.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Reads, speaks, understands and writes proficiently in English.
• Works independently and is self-directed.
• Works effectively in a team environment.
• Organizes, prioritizes, and coordinates multiple activities and tasks.
• Works with initiative, energy and effectiveness in a fast-paced environment.
• Produces work in high quantity and quality.
• Problem-solves with creativity and ingenuity.
• Remains calm and effective in high pressure and emergency situations.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel and Outlook
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Bilingual skills.
• ICD-10 & CPT Coding.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Post high school education in office/clerical coursework.
• Graduate of a Medical/Dental Administrative Assistant Certification program or related field.
• Customer service related experience working with the general public (1 year).
• Clerical, reception, medical or dental assisting, administrative or secretarial experience in a medical/dental setting or healthcare insurance organization (1 year); or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
• Familiarity with insurance programs, preauthorization and/or referrals.
• Experience in a multiple provider medical practice.
• Healthcare information systems, such as electronic health record and practice management systems experience.
• Working with low income, multi-ethnic populations.
• Certified Professional Coder (CPC) by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or Coding Specialist (CCS) certified by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
Job Specific Functions/Performance Expectations:
1. Receives and processes all referrals per established protocols.
2. Coordinates referrals with hospitals, specialists, and other organizations when services are authorized.
3. Schedules patients as needed with Specialists, provides necessary paperwork and instructions to patients and specialists prior to appointments.
4. Maintains accurate records, tracking the status and receipt of notes for completed referrals.
5. Provides information to and educates patients regarding availability of specialty and other non-CHC services.
6. Maintains, updates, distributes and provides information regarding health plan benefit materials to CHC providers and clinic staff.
7. Timely review and completion of tasks as assigned.
8. Protect and preserve the confidentiality of patient’s records and personal information.
9. Adheres to attendance standards in order to perform the job functions for daily operations and/or continuity of patient care.
We offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package designed to address health, time off, retirement and career-advancement needs. We also offer an additional $0.75/hour for those who test proficiently in a second language.
To learn more and to apply for this position, please visit our website www.CHCsno.org to complete an online application and/or submit your resume for consideration.
Join a team that loves what they do and cares about those they serve.
CHC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AA)/At-will employer.