This position is full-time and split between two clinics (20 hours/week at Edmonds and 20 hours/week at Everett-Central).
The Patient Services Specialist provides support and promotes access to primary health care with non-clinical services that enable individuals to connect through system navigation, benefit acquisition, community resources, education and other enabling services. The Specialist will (a) help current patients connect with community resources outside the organization’s scope of services; (b) assist residents within the service area in establishing linkage to CHC services; and (c) help current patients and residents within the service area connect with accessing subsidized, low-cost and free health insurance programs. In addition, the Specialist will provide assistance under grant covered services and eligibility for the organization’s sliding fee discount program. This position will assist in building and maintaining relationships with community partners and will participate in events hosted by the organization and/or sponsored by community partners.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Reads, speaks, understands and writes proficiently in English.
• Works independently and is self-directed.
• Works effectively in a team environment.
• Problem-solves with creativity and ingenuity.
• Organizes, prioritizes, and coordinates multiple activities and tasks.
• Works with initiative, energy and effectiveness in a fast-paced environment.
• Produces work in high quantity and quality.
• Remains calm and effective in high pressure and emergency situations.
• Use of multi-line telephones and other office machines.
• Knowledge of medical, dental, or pharmacy terminology.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Possess ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Bilingual skills.
• Knowledge of the health and human services infrastructure, health insurance programs and public coverage options.
• Public speaking: one-on-one or in group settings.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Associates degree in healthcare related field, or in lieu of degree, a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
• Health care or related experience (1 year).
• Customer service related experience working with the general public (1 year).
• Working with insurance/program eligibility in a community-based organization.
• Health care information systems, such as electronic health record and practice management systems experience.
• Working with low income, multi-ethnic populations.
• Working with private and/or government third party reimbursement.
• ICD-10 coding experience.
• CPT-4 coding experience.
• CDT-5 coding experience.
• Driver’s license with the State of Washington.
• Motor vehicle insurance liability policy, a certificate.
Job Specific Functions/Performance Expectations:
1. Serves as a subject matter expert for staff, patients and residents within the service area on all aspects of system navigation, benefits acquisition, assistance programs and community resources.
2. Provides support for current patients with system navigation (i.e., cross-services referrals) and promotes access to primary care (e.g., medical, dental, pharmacy, mental health) and ancillary services within the organization’s scope of services.
3. Provides support for residents within the service area promotes access to primary care (e.g., medical, dental, pharmacy, behavioral health) and ancillary services within the organization’s scope of services (i.e., recruitment of new patients).
4. Provides support for current patients and residents within the service area for benefit acquisition through eligibility and enrollment assistance and connection with accessing subsidized, low-cost and free health insurance programs (e.g., health, pharmacy, Medicaid, Medicare, Women Infants and Children, Supplemental Security Income, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and other related public health programs and services).
5. Provides support for current patients and residents with the service area for eligibility assistance and tracking under grant covered services.
6. Provides support and assistance for current patients to community resources (e.g., health, social services, etc.) outside the organization’s scope of services.
7. Provides support and assistance for current patients to other enabling services (e.g., transportation, interpretation, etc.) to assist with system navigation.
8. Provides support and assistance for current patients and residents within the service area with the completion and processing of applications and qualification for sliding fee discount program. Follow up on outstanding sliding fee applications and enters tracking data into sliding fee database.
9. Verifies insurance coverage for future scheduled appointments using practice management system appointment reports.
10. Assists in outbound call campaigns to assigned patients, schedules required appointments, and updates the benefit status of patients.
11. Provides education to current patients and residents within the service area. Assists with the distribution of patient education and organizational promotion materials to patients, residents within the service area, and partner organizations and businesses.
12. Maintains Breast and Cervical Health Database. Works with providers to ensure all necessary paperwork is completed and verifies patient eligibility.
13. Researches patient questions regarding accounts/statements and initiates appropriate adjustments with the assistance from the Patient Accounts Department.
14. Assists in building and maintaining relationships with community partners (e.g., other health care, social service agencies, educational institutions, etc.).
15. Participates in events hosted by the organization and/or sponsored by community partners.
16. Attends and successfully complete all required training programs; participate in ongoing conference calls, webinars and other professional development opportunities.
17. Performs the duties of a receptionist, as needed, and assists with other departments when called upon.
18. Adheres to attendance standards in order to perform the job functions for daily operations and/or continuity of patient care.
We offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package designed to address health, time off, retirement and career-advancement needs. We also offer an additional $0.75/hour for those who test proficiently in a second language.
To learn more and to apply for this position, please visit our website www.CHCsno.org to complete an online application and/or submit your resume for consideration.
Join a team that loves what they do and cares about those they serve.
CHC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AA)/At-will employer.