This is a remote position which means you will primarily works remote but there may be occasions, such as for training, when you will be scheduled to work at a CHC worksite.
The Patient Access Specialist-Medical acts as the first point of contact with Community Health Center. The Specialist answers telephones in a centralized call center environment and performs a variety of clerical, reception and administrative tasks: transcribes messages, schedules appointments, pre-registers patients, and verifies insurance coverage. The Specialist may also document compliments, complaints and update patient demographics as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Reads, speaks, understands and writes proficiently in English.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Works independently and is self-directed.
• Works effectively in a team environment.
• Problem-solves with creativity and ingenuity.
• Organizes, prioritizes, and coordinates multiple activities and tasks.
• Works with initiative, energy and effectiveness in a fast-paced environment.
• Produces work in high quantity and quality.
• Remains calm and effective in high pressure and emergency situations.
• Use of multi-line telephones and other office machines.
• Keyboarding: 35 wpm with a 95% accuracy rate.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Bilingual skills.
• Knowledge of dental terminology.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Graduate of an accredited Office Skills Certification Program or related field.
• Graduate of an accredited Medical Administrative Assistant Certification program or related field.
• Customer service related experience working with the general public (1 year).
• Clerical, reception, dental or medical assisting, administrative or secretarial experience in a medical/dental setting or healthcare insurance organization (1 year); or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
• Call Center experience (1 year).
• Working with insurance/billing in a healthcare setting/insurance organization.
• Experience in a multiple provider medical/dental practice.
• Digital imaging familiarity.
• Healthcare information systems, such as electronic health record and practice management systems experience.
• Working with low income, multi-ethnic populations.
Job Specific Functions/Performance Expectations:
1. Pre-registers patients in a computerized practice management system.
2. Schedules patients in a computerized practice management system. Maintains appointment schedule and follows office scheduling policies.
3. Helps contact and reschedule patients when providers’ schedules change.
4. Directs phone calls to proper destination or takes messages within the electronic health record.
5. Assists with insurance eligibility verification and advises non-insured patients of insurance enrollment and sliding fee discount.
6. Answers or appropriately refers billing questions.
7. Assists in confirming appointments.
8. Orders interpreter services and interfaces with other outside organizations regarding patient services.
9. Documents compliments and complaints.
10. Accurately documents and routes task communications within the electronic health record.
11. Logs into and out of the telephone system daily as scheduled.
12. Meets the established Call Center daily and monthly goals for call standards (statistics).
13. Meets the customer service call quality standards.
14. Updates patient demographics as needed.
15. Adheres to attendance standards in order to perform the job functions for daily operations and/or continuity of patient care.
We offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package designed to address health, time off, retirement and career-advancement needs. We also offer an additional $2.00/hour weekend differential for working hours on Saturday and/or Sunday and an additional $0.75/hour for those who test proficiently in a second language.
To learn more and to apply for this position, please visit our website www.CHCsno.org to complete an online application and/or submit your resume for consideration.
Join a team that loves what they do and cares about those they serve.
CHC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AA)/At-will employer.