NOTE: This position is 40 hours/week, benefit eligible.
The Health Information Specialist - Medical operates in a team with other clinic support staff and healthcare providers. The Specialist is responsible for distributing and filing patient health information. The Specialist maintains a list of charts in archives; retrieves charts from archives when needed; receives and processes releases of information (ROIs); assists with and coordinates the data collection for chart audits and quality reviews as assigned; responds to EHR tasks and telephone calls and assists patients regarding health information in a timely manner: assists in the release of medical information and ensures that the release of information is complete according to CHC policy and HIPAA guidelines and documents all communications with patients in EHR as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Reads, speaks, understands and writes proficiently in English.
• Works independently and is self-directed.
• Works effectively in a team environment.
• Organizes, prioritizes, and coordinates multiple activities and tasks.
• Works with initiative, energy and effectiveness in a fast-paced environment.
• Produces work in high quantity and quality.
• Problem-solves with creativity and ingenuity.
• Remains calm and effective in high pressure and emergency situations.
• Use of multi-line telephones and other office machines.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Bilingual skills.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Post high school education in office/clerical coursework.
• Customer service related experience working with the general public (1 year).
• Experience in a multiple provider medical practice.
• Healthcare information systems, such as electronic health record and practice management systems experience.
• Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) by the American Health Information Management Association.
Job Specific Functions/Performance Expectations:
1. Maintains a list of charts in archives; retrieves charts from archives when needed.
2. Receives and processes the release of medical information (ROIs) in a timely manner and ensures that the release of information is complete according to CHC policy and HIPAA guidelines.
3. Sorts and stamps outgoing mail; monitors postage meter to track expense.
4. Scans signed and completed paperwork in electronic health record (EHR) according to EHR filing protocol.
5. Receives and distributes mail and faxes and distributes to appropriate clinic staff.
6. Assists with and coordinates the data collection for chart audits and quality reviews as assigned.
7. Responds to EHR tasks and telephone calls and assists patients regardig health information in a timely manner.
8. Requests health information in a timely manner from other clinics and/or agencies.
9. Documents all communications with patients in EHR as appropriate.
10. Cross trains and performs the duties of a Medical Receptionist, as needed, and assists with other departments when called upon.
11. Adheres to the organizational infection control plan and written policy.
12. Adheres to attendance standards in order to perform the job functions for daily operations and/or continuity of patient care.
We offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package designed to address health, time off, retirement and career-advancement needs. We also offer an additional $0.75/hour for those who test proficiently in a second language.
To learn more and to apply for this position, please visit our website www.CHCsno.org to complete an online application and/or submit your resume for consideration.
Join a team that loves what they do and cares about those they serve.
CHC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AA)/At-will employer.