The Compensation and Benefits Specialist is responsible for administering the organization’s compensation program, health and welfare benefits, retirement savings plan, and associated policies and procedures. The Specialist will be responsible for supporting strategic compensation initiatives that result in the attraction and retention of a talented, highly engaged, and productive workforce. This position performs confidential, technical and analytical classification and compensation activities related to the maintenance of the organization’s compensation program, including health care provider incentive plans. The Specialist is also responsible for administering aspects of the organization’s benefit plans and programs including vendor management, compliance, project management and communication. This role ensures company benefit programs are consistently administered in compliance with company policies and government regulations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Reads, speaks, understands and writes proficiently in English.
- Demonstrates excellent analytical skills, critical thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to foresee potential obstacles and proactively identify solutions and resolve issues.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, complex information to individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Works independently and is self-directed.
- Knowledge and expertise with compensation administration, including development of policies and programs, general salary administration, and management of annual market and salary review.
- Understands Federal and State Wage and Hour Laws, and Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Demonstrates ability to manage benefits administration from eligibility to termination, open enrollment, and qualifying life events.
- Ability to create presentations and educational materials for all audiences with effective presentation skills.
- Possesses a continuous improvement mindset.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and composure while having difficult conversations or under pressure.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information and exercise exceptional judgement.
- Supports, motivates and sustains a team-oriented culture.
- Organizes, prioritizes, and coordinates multiple activities, tasks and projects using time management skills.
- Works with initiative, energy and effectiveness in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced skill level with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel.
- Produces work in high quantity and quality.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field, or in lieu of degree, a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
- Compensation analysis and benefits administration experience (2 years).
- Progressively responsible Human Resource experience in compensation in a healthcare setting (1 year).
- Compensation Professional (CCP) certified by World at Work Society of Certified Professionals or Compensation Management Specialist (CMS) certified by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans (IFEBP).
- Benefits Professional (CBP) certified by World at Work Society of Certified Professionals or Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) certified by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans (IFEBP).
- Professional of Human Resources (PHR); or
- Senior Professional of Human Resources (SPHR); or
- Society for Human Resources-Certified Professional (SHRM-CP).
- Driver's license with the State of Washington.
- Motor vehicle insurance liability policy, a certificate of deposit, or a liability bond to the required limits.
A. Job Specific Functions/Performance: Benefits
- Benefit Plan Design - Partners with the Benefits Team and broker on benefit design to ensure benefit programs meet employee needs, are competitive and cost effective, legally compliant and effectively communicated.
- Education/Training - Conducts benefits orientation for new hires and employees newly eligible for benefits. Provides ongoing education to employees on available benefits; monitoring plan usage to identify areas of opportunity for additional education and plan promotion.
- Recordkeeping/Documentation Management - Partners with the HR team to ensure daily benefits administration in the HRIS and carriers’ portals, as needed. Works with benefit carriers to resolve benefit eligibility issues and file feed issues, as needed.
- Open Enrollment - Manages annual Open Enrollment activities including benefit configuration in the HCMS, distribution of enrollment materials, communications to employees, and reconciliation of employee enrollment.
- Billing - Manages the benefits billing invoice process to include reconciliation, payment, and audit. Resolves discrepancies with carriers, accounting, payroll and employees.
- Vendor Relations- Maintains accurate and complete files on benefit providers/carriers regarding plan descriptions, contracts, amendments and other benefit related documents.
- Legal/Regulatory Compliance - Assists with annual health and welfare and retirement savings plan audits, non-discrimination testing and regulatory filings, and required participant notifications to maintain compliance.
- Legal/Regulatory Compliance - Assists with ACA compliance, including HCMS auditing, distribution of 1095-C to plan participants and filing of 1094-C with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Attendance – Adheres to standards in order to perform the job functions for daily operations and/or continuity of patient care.
B. Job Specific Functions/Performance: Compensation
- Compensation Management - Provides expertise related to the compensation program and best practices for salary determination for new hires, promotions, and adjustments.
- Compensation Management - Reviews new positions in anticipation of recruitment to ensure appropriate classification. As necessary, modifies and creates new descriptions that accurately reflect current roles, responsibilities and requirements.
- Incentive Plan Administration - Responsible for administration of the provider compensation and incentive plan, including detailed analysis and calculation of incentives. Analyzing data and reporting out on performance measures of plan participants. Make recommendations on enhancements or changes to plan.
- Data Analysis/Reporting - Conducts and provides data input for comprehensive annual salary survey participation.
- Data Analysis/Reporting - Partners with the Human Resources Manager to conduct the annual review of the organization’s salary structure as well as the analysis of employee pay against other incumbents and the external market to ensure fair, consistent and competitive pay practices.
- Legal/Regulatory Compliance - Perform compensation audits, including self-audits performed as part of the organization’s Affirmative Action program.
- Legal/Regulatory Compliance - Monitors federal and state laws related to compensation and benefits and keeps the Human Resources Manager up to date.
We offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package designed to address health, time off, retirement and career-advancement needs. We also offer an additional $0.75/hour for those who test proficiently in a second language.
To learn more and to apply for this position, please visit our website www.CHCsno.org to complete an online application and/or submit your resume for consideration.
Join a team that loves what they do and cares about those they serve.
CHC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (EEO/AA)/At-will employer.